Sunday, August 05, 2007

Contentment

Another birthday is around the corner and I find myself less than excited. Last year was the big one, the one that had anticipation surrounding every moment; this year is blah. Is it possible that maturity and a strong sense of self has evoked this change? For me to not have a birthday party is huge, in fact, I don't remember the last time I didn't have a birthday party. 30 has hit me hard but not in an entirely bad way. I have discovered a contentment about my life that I never thought was possible. I am content with my marriage, job, house, friends...basically with my life. That is a nice feeling.

A lot of this contentment has to do with accomplishing goals. I had set goals for myself and somehow managed to actually complete the tasks. I am now certified as a neuroscience nurse which was a huge exam, and I have completed by bachelor's degree in nursing. The completion of both these goals has given me a lot of time to relax and reflect on myself and my life. I'm pretty lucky to be in the place I am, there is not more looking around the corner to see if something better is there. This is the best, right here in front of me.

Friends also make a huge difference in life. I have a few close friends who know me and love me as I love them. We all have our own little quirks but that is what makes us human. Knowing they are there when I need them is a huge relief. Being able to trust them is priceless.

"History resurfaces time and time again but sometimes the most important history is the history we're making today" -Meredith on Gray's Anatomy. This is my favorite quote right now and yes I know it came from a TV show but I love the point it makes. Whatever is going on right now is important.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Content with all....? Sounds peaceful... Some of us are destined to always seek out the unknowns that life puts in our paths -- taking solace in those breif moments when our heads are above the water....

Happy B-day....

5:53 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I like my head above water, much better than the alternative. Peaceful is a nice way to describe life but I don't think contentment always equals peace. Also, seeking for answers to the unknown questions in life can also happen for someone who is content. There are always questions, but do we really want the answers?

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home