Friday, September 08, 2006

The big game

I had never lived in a big college town until this adventure to Ohio. We arrived in Columbus right after the national championship win, I didn't really know what that meant or the significance of what that meant. This town is crazy about football. Not just fans, they are crazy, psycho fans. The fight song plays year round, the countdown to kick-off start in spring, radio shows analyze the team year round. It is amazing to see so much energy placed on football. The first time I went out in 2003 I was at a bar with some friends and the "hang on sloopy" song played, complete with the O-H-I-O chant in the middle. That was an experience, now I know the song, when to chant and the hand motions that go with it. I went tailgating in 2004 for the first time. We arrived at 8am and left at 10pm, not that I remember leaving. I'm pretty sure it was the OSU vs. Michigan game, we won and chaos broke out. Buckeye necklaces, beer and cigars are all a blur. We bought the house and immediately bought a buckeye flag to wave on game day; we live here, might as well enjoy the spirit.

So as football season is once again starting the city will be crazy for the next few months. I may not understand the significance but it is fun to enjoy the buzz that comes on Fridays as the anticipation of the Saturday game builds. I still get chills when I hear the fight song and yes, I now appreciate "hang on sloopy" as an OSU song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home