Sunday, August 13, 2006

World Trade Center-the movie

I saw a trailer the other day for a new movie called World Trade Center. It is a story about two police officers who risk their lives to save people after the attacks. While they are in the building it collapses and they are trapped until rescued. It starts Nicholas Cage who I enjoy watching. What I don't enjoy is the whole theme in the movie. Maybe I am just being sensitive, but, that wound is still a little too fresh to have a movie made of it. I still remember where I was, what I was doing and how I felt...almost 5 years later.

We were living in NC. I had worked the night before and the night of the 11th so I was sleeping. Went to bed that morning not thinking anything was wrong. Pete woke me up when he came home for lunch and told me what was going on; at that time even he didn't know the scale of what was happening. Of course I didn't go back to bed, didn't get back to sleep. I called all my friends and family because that seemed like the right thing to do. I tried to sleep a couple times but just kept seeing those towers fall and the dust rushing towards everyone. An awake nightmare.

Like everyone else in America, we were riveted to the TV for the next few days until we had to force ourselves to leave the house and not dwell on what had happened. Baseball started back up and slowly life began to return to some kind of normalcy. We watched all the interviews, the special reports, even bought the DVD's that came out. Those DVDs are still in the plastic wrapping.

This was an important part of our history and an important part of what has changed this country. One of the few events that changed everyone equally, regardless of social or economic status. Fear has become a part of everyday life; uncertainty has taken the place of prideful arrogance. I'm not ready to relive 9/11 or those days that followed. I have been to NYC before and after the attacks, it is still emotional. Perhaps I am in the minority on this, we will see when the box office opens.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe you could explain this more:

Fear has become a part of everyday life; uncertainty has taken the place of prideful arrogance.

I hated New York before it happened
and I still dislike the stats today, but the fact remains that I was wounded to my core that day. I did not sleep for 3 days, numb for the loss of innocent life, and the first of many victories of the terrorists.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Fear is an everyday emotion for most Americans. What color is the terror alert, is that Middle-Eastern person in line behind me a terrorist. The quiet, peaceful life we all lived has ended. America was once the pride of the world, a supernation that no one could compare with. That stature has been replaced by a falling economy, scandal and the lack of allies (all of which we have lost because of lies). How can you hate New York? Do you hate the city or the state? That is a strong statement to make without giving a reason.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Back to NY:
I Dislike NY because its not Ohio,
For its lack of good traffic patterns, for its overpriced property value, and for the rudeness they portray.

I like NY because of it's history, for it being the finance capital of the world, and for the hope they gave millions around the world in the days after 9-11.

The united nations have become more corrupt than your preceived notion of our own government. You want the U.N. to talk with terrorists or to help hunt them? A few recent examples of U.N. forces at work : Rwanda Massacre, Oil for food scandal with Iraq. When people are dying they are still talking about FIRM actions months later.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

New Jersey is actually the rudest state I have ever been too. New York City has been nothing but friendly the many times I have been. If you look for negative you will always find it. If you want to talk about poor traffic patterns we can discuss the highway system in your precious state; how can people exit and enter a highway at the same point? Completely ridiulous. I am a New Yorker and I always will be, does that mean I am rude? At least I don't judge people and make gray hate statements. Who is really rude?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Michelle-
Did you ever stop and think I may be trying to encite those reactions for a reason? It at a minimum - got us to exchange dialouge.

I am always open to other ideas - (if they work)

Take care Lassy.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, you really are old. I'm sure I'll see the movie but I'm too cheap to buy a movie ticket. It is easy to forget the courage and spirit that came out of the attacks.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home