Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hurricane Katrina

One year ago today was Hurricane Katrina. Thankfully the media is replaying all the footage from last year to remind everyone how horrible that time was. I had forgotten, I'm sure I'm not the only person who really hasn't thought about New Orleans or Mississippi; there are plenty of other things to think about. This should stay fresh in our minds for two reasons; these were Americans who were suffering, in America and because this could happen to any one of us. No, I'm not expecting a hurricane in Ohio but one thing I have learned is each area of the country has their own unique weather to deal with.

I was in New Orleans 6 months before the hurricane hit so I think it was more personal for me. I loved New Orleans, it was a beautiful city with friendly people and music on every street corner. Watching the news during the hurricane, I could pick out places I had been and recognized. The big questions left by hurricane Katrina were; why didn't everyone evacuate and why didn't the government's emergency action plans work?

My husband and I have been through 4 hurricanes; one medium, one big and two small. I would have left New Orleans but we didn't evacuate for any of the hurricanes we encountered while in NC. In fact, it was virtually impossible to evacuate unless you left days in advance because the traffic was so horrible getting out of the city. So better just to batten down the hatches and have a big pitcher of margaritas ready. Not everyone can evacuate and I don't think we can fault people for not having the means to help themselves. Look at all the people who followed directions, went to the Superdome and Convention Center, things didn't turn out that well for them either.

I don't know what happened with the government's emergency plan. Everyone blames someone else, no one will take the accountability to say "it was my fault". Having a government that can't help it's citizens is scary but the real answer I want is...Why didn't you help? I specifically remember an interview with a nurse at one of the hospitals, she was crying, begging for help for the staff and patients. Where was everyone? We are a supernation who can't take care of it's own citizens.

Hurricane Katrina is what got me interested in blogging. I read the blogs posted by newspeople down on the Gulf Coast daily, just to see what was really going on. That blog has since closed down but did give a good assessment of the people and situation, not just in New Orleans but the entire Gulf Coast.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think you reinforce the entire break down of the system from local,city,state, and federal disaster respose teams. What we all need to remember is that the New Orleans disaster was bound to happen and the fact that Mother Nature's forces will always win out over man's ability to resist them.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

The sad thing is, if it were to happen again tomorrow the response would probably be the same. I question whether we, as a nation, learned everything from this disaster.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't know what the solution is to the healthcare problem but I think someone needs to figure it out sooner rather than later. You build a city under sea level for the same reason that you built a multi-story building on the coast in Florida...because you can.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Michelle: Your love for the Venice of the America is obvious. It has more history than most people realize and some pretty cool looking cemeteries.It will succumb to the same fate each generation until it is no more. Al Gore's Global Warming predictions ensure they will be under sea water in 9 years 149 days 8hours and 43 min (at the posting of this blog). Get your waders for the pontoon boat Mardi Gras Parade.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home