Monday, April 03, 2006

Obesity and hospitals

There was a story on the CNN homepage about hospitals having to change for obese patients. This does not include patients that need to lose a few pounds, this is specific to 350+ lbs. The movement was started by a 700 lb woman who had to feed her newborn infant from the bed because she couldn't fit into the rocking chair. The article touched on the importance of larger beds, larger wheelchairs, larger doorways, larger bathrooms and so on. Remember, it isn't these patient's fault they are obese.

The article stated that hospitals were buying lift equipment for these larger patients as a way to cut down on nurse, radiology tech and nursing assistant injuries. Now, I have experience with this after 2 back injuries in my short career. Just this past weekend I took care of a patient who was about 200lbs heavier than me. I tried to get a rotation bed for this patient to reduce the risk of injury to myself and my co-workers. I was told insurance wouldn't pay for a rotation bed unless the patient was developing skin breakdown. I guess we still don't practice prevention. So basically as long as we go and turn the patient every 2 hours to prevent skin breakdown we don't get any help. If we don't turn the patient and they start to breakdown their skin we get help; rewards for not doing your job.

This is very frustrating to me, maybe the hospital should forget insurance coverage and pick up the tab to help it's staff. Sorry, I am in my dream world again.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/03/31/hospital.obesity.ap/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home