Monday, March 13, 2006

Random thoughts from Michelle

I'm hopping up on my soapbox for a minute to talk about public restrooms and women's habits in these restrooms. There is a large population of women who have strong opinions on actually placing their bare behind on the toilet seat in a public restroom. What these women choose to do is squat over the toilet and urinate. There is a reason the toilet was designed for sitting; unlike men who can control the direction of their urine, women cannot. Sitting on the seat produces a seal to prevent the urine from going everywhere. Squatting breaks that seal and causes urine to go everywhere on the seat and floor. As a non-squatter I find this much more offensive than the possibility that I am sitting where another bare behind has sat. If sitting on the seat is that offensive then line it with toilet paper or those seat covers, please stop squatting over the seat...it is actually less sanitary than taking your chances and sitting. Better yet, hold your urine until you get home and squat on your own toilet, then you can clean it up just like I have to in a public facility. Stop the insanity, germs are usually harmless. I'm hopping off my soapbox now.

What a busy weekend at work. Here is an interesting scenario to wrap your brain around. We had a patient that was declared brain dead but we were going to harvest organs for donation so we needed to keep the organs as viable as possible. We worked our butts off on a dead person; a little freaky isn't it. Luckily we were able to save the abdominal organs so in the end it was actually working our butts off for strangers we will never meet, but still an odd concept. We need to do a research project on whether the weather affects patients and therefore affects the type of shift we have. Maybe the warm weather made every weirder than usual, including the nursing staff. I called upon my good friend Starbucks twice this weekend for support, even managed the extra shot of espresso with no problem.

Mother nature is just toying with us up here. It was 70 degrees when I was driving home this morning, it is supposed to snow tonight. We have had so much rain the last couple days I thought about buying a boat to get to work. I decided that wasn't a good idea, I have a phobia with boats. They seem to sink when I am around and that is a drag.

So the question is should I ignore my birthday this year or party like its 1999? Of course if it was 1999 I would be 23 like I tell everyone. I still haven't decided which way to go with this one. Ignorance is my goal in life so I may try to ignore the whole event.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

So are half the women in Wilmington, besides, you would not be an attractive woman.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bithdays after 30 should not be celebrated in the way a 21 year old would.... Just in case you were uncertain - boats are nice to have around when sharks are near. I think that might encourage you to drop the phobia.....

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home