Sunday, May 18, 2008

Stages of Grief

There are different stages of grief a person who has experienced a loss can expect to go through. The main stages were defined by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and are: 1) Denial, 2) Anger, 3) Bargaining, 4) Depression, and 5) Acceptance. Some stages that have been added, although not officially can include: shock/disbelief, guilt, numbness, disorganization and reorganization. These stages will be experienced in a very non-specific order, but most of these feelings will be seen. These stages have been developed as a tool to help people who deal with those who are grieving and also help those who are grieving. Kind of like a way to say, "what you are feeling is okay and perfectly normal". The problem being, nobody grieves in the same way as everyone else.

Why bring this up? I am trying to figure out which stage I am in and how soon I can expect my life to return to normalcy. When can I start my day without a huge burden of sadness and when can I close my eyes at night without visions of hospitals and death. Some normalcy has returned simply because life has to keep going on. Somehow I feel guilty for the normalcy, yet comforted by the fact that I won't be sad forever. I don't want to loose those random thoughts and memories that crop up during the day and night, however, I have to find peace with the situation and what happened. How can someone find peace with a situation completely out of their control?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Normalcy:

In my experience - grief never truly leaves the hindered soul - it only cuts less with the proper time to heal. Much like the visible fleshy wounds we carry through life take their natural course of healing - so shall the hidden ones within the confines of our being. Yet, in the end, a scar still remains. Does it not?

Many run from emotional pain due to natural reflexions of the human mind, but as time progresses you should walk towards that which cuts you most. It is within those dark moments of the soul that we learn about ourselves - we grow in wisdom like the sages of old - and gain preperation for the times when we can pass on words such as these to those that matter.

Your guilt for wanting normalcy is due to your unselfish view of life and those around you. You love and care Big - Always more for others and not enough for yourself.

Stop running from the Pain that will ultimately bring expedience to your growth. You may not enjoy the reflection (the flood of memories that consume you) but I promise that in a few months a new found joy will surpass what grief has taught you about yourself...

As always,

~X~

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home